Wednesday 11 January 2012

Passage to Peace

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
Dear Companion.
Peace. One word, one entity that needs to be in abundance in the world, yet wherever we look it’s as if nobody knows its definition. I couldn’t find my Oxford Dictionary so I guess the Wikipedia entry will have to suffice: “Peace is the state of harmony characterised by the lack of violent conflict.” I don’t think I could have found a better definition anywhere else. I’m not just referring to peace in war-torn countries or peace within our families or friends, but one that most of us often neglect: inner peace.
When I left for my journey to Umrah with my family and our relatives from Bangladesh, I had absolutely no idea what to expect; would I be awed? Would I cry? Would I be bored? (Subhanallah the last one never happened!) The one thing that I never expected to feel is that of such overwhelming tranquillity that it was as if nothing else in the world mattered, but the worship of Allah. I felt it the moment I laid my eyes on the Ka’bah (after I shed a few tears; how can you not?).
I’m someone that loves the internet, and often have friends telling me I’m a Facebook addict and what not. But staying in Makkah, just walking in the streets and looking around at the people made me forget everything about the internet; these people live without it, so why can’t I? It was more of the fact that I didn’t need the internet, I felt like I didn’t need anything at all except my clothes, food, shelter, and Allah.
I’m drifting from my point. As I sat there, looking at the Ka’bah) I remember feeling like nothing mattered, and I just wanted to sit there in the state of the utmost calm I’ve ever felt in my life. Sitting there, surrounded by beautiful architecture, the chanting of prayers from every direction, I was lost in a trance where I reflected upon my life, my goals, what, and most importantly, who I wanted to become in this life. It’s not every day we sit and ponder things like this, is it?
Alhamdulillah I’m happy to say that the experience changed me. I’ve learned so much from it, both about this amazing way of life we call Islam, and about myself as a person. I’ve never taken a peaceful moment for granted since then, and let’s face it: we could all use it in our lives. With university, having personal problems, financial problems or any other troubles makes us forget that there is only one being that we can turn to, and sitting on your own in the mosque or in a tranquil environment will remind you that there are things in this life more important than what goes on in our lives.  After all, Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema": peace, purity, submission and obedience[1].
 Sincerely,
Raiyan Ali

0 comments:

Post a Comment